Why electrical installation certificate is important for landlord?
Not many people know this, but household electrical appliances have a document confirming that everything is fine. Here we explain when you need it, how you can get it and how much it costs.
If you have decided to change the electrical current in your home, or if you are going to turn on a new power supply, your path and that of the Electrical Installation Certificate (also known as EICR) may intersect.
What is the electrical installation certificate?
This electrical installation certificate is a mandatory document for all houses, both new and second-hand. It declares that the electrical installation is in good condition and meets all technical requirements.
Like other inspections, it is an essential system to ensure that electrical installations do not present a hazard.
When do you need it?
Normally, the distribution company that requests the certificate and it does this through the marketing company.
Remember, your contract is with the marketing company that issues your bills. The distribution company takes care of the supply, meters, faults etc.
These are the 4 most common situations in which you need your electrical installation certificate or CIE:
- You need electricity (for example, because you are moving to a new-build home): you must provide the certificate as part of the documentation.
- You need more power: and when you make your calculations, you notice that the contracted power you want exceeds the maximum stated on your certificate. In this case, you will need a new certificate confirming that it is safe to increase the flow to your home.
- Your certificate was issued more than 20 years ago and you need to change your contract: although the certificate does not expire, it may need to be revised if these two circumstances occur at the same time (that more than 20 years have passed and you request changes) in your contract). That is why it is important that the seller makes the CIE available to you when purchasing a second-hand home.
How do you get that?
You may be in one of two very different situations:
- New electrical installations: this means that there is work to be done and of course the contracted electrician will certify their work and issue a valid electrical certificate.
- Electrical installations older than 20 years: As we saw earlier, depending on the contract changes you request, your installation may need to be revised even if no changes are made. In this case, a new certificate can be issued in which an old installation is certified.
Usually there are no serious problems and the examination is finished in less than half an hour. The document must then be registered with the official body, which usually takes no longer than a week.
If the technician is unable to complete the investigation or detect an error, it may take a little longer to issue your installation certificate.
What does it mean?
To be fully valid for your electrical installation certificate, it must include the following:
- Owner information.
- Address of the building.
- Features of the installation: usage (household, office, hotel …), area, maximum allowable power, voltage, details of the general power supply line, details of the individual location, meters and details of the protection devices.
- Distribution company.
- Authorized Installation Company or Engineer
- Verification measurements.
Of all these details, you should be most interested in the maximum allowable power, since the supply you enable cannot exceed this figure. Remember that the more power you have the more home appliances you can use at the same time without turning off the circuit breakers.
How much is it?
The landlord electrical certificate cost are not regulated and depend on a number of factors, such as the rates of the electrician of your choice, the size of the building or the taxes levied by each autonomous community.
When we talk about new electrical installations, the cost of the electricity certificate or CIE is included in the quote you get for the work.
If we are talking about an installation that is more than 5 years old, that needs to be revised and a new certificate issued. Since there are significant differences between one professional and another, we recommend that you consider different options before hiring. The price range depends on many factors and easily shifts between£99 and £200, as you can see when you search the internet.